Are You Ready to Make a Significant Professional Leap Forward This Year?
Announcing a career management program designed to help you enhance your professional reputation, finally get real clarity on your market value, build a formidable network, brand yourself appropriately, accelerate your Career and set yourself up for the future
Michel Gerber in his famous entrepreneurship book, E-Myth, distinguished between the problem of spending too much time and attention working in your business vs. investing in the future success and sustainability by working on your business. Just like a small business, your career needs to be worked “on” and not just “in.”
The career management program is designed to do just that; take care of the business of you.
What happens when you start working ON your career?
- You move from a reactive state to designing your career path and your professional pursuits
- You move from confusion or fuzziness about your professional offering and place in the market to taking ownership of your unique professional value and professional journey
- You move from a haphazard to strategic approach in the building and managing of your personal brand and professional reputation
- You take an intentional approach to network development, referral generation and opportunity flow which means a more exciting and fulfilling trajectory
- And, you improve your ability to create your future, your next thing, whatever that might be
Which Leads to Four Benefits
- Minimize the Downside / Mitigate Risk: By increasing your market skills, engaging in realistic situational analysis, and anticipating the traps, you will put yourself in a more solid position, become more resilient in the face of surprises and ensure you are on the right track.
- Improve the Present: Too often, anxiety about the future or that nagging feeling takes away from our engagement in the present. Get working on the pillars and you will become more aware in an objective way of your current situation’s pros and cons.
- Optimize: Just like the small business entrepreneur, by working on your career, you can influence your trajectory, get better aim toward exciting opportunities and increase your overall market power.
- Help Design Your Future: You are moving towards something. The question is whether it is designed or by default. Let’s do it on purpose.
These four benefits can result in greater earning power, more security, greater control, diminished anxiety, increased flow of opportunities, and the fulfillment of being in or moving towards work that truly suits you and is on purpose. And in the process, and not least, you will be connected and develop relationships with other members and with me.
In a structured, systematic way, we will tackle the above.
Who is the program for?
The program is designed for professionals who can be described as executives, senior managers, managers, entrepreneurs or self-employed types, leaders and those up and coming and ambitious.
The shared characteristic is that you believe that who you are and what you do are closely linked, and that by leveraging your unique professional assets, you can create greater capability, you can generate greater opportunities to play a bigger (or different) game, and that your overall well-being is improved as a result.
With that in mind, I’m drawing from my years consulting to a wide range of successful clients, my experience building professional development programs for a global top 100 b-school and my early work as an executive search consulting in shaping an annual program to provide structure, accountability and network to help you make progress on your career and life goals.
The Career Management Program Framework
The Pillars of Career Development
The management and development of your career maps to the following quadrants and pillars. Based on my 20+ years experience in the field, I’ve created this proprietary model. This is the framework on which the program is structured.
The goal is to move you forward; towards more fulfilling work, a stronger trajectory, the change you’ve been desiring, greater opportunity flow, more confidence and less anxiety, and greater market power.
What you focus on and what’s important to you, of course is up to you. The framework, and sub-frameworks, help bring awareness and attention to the different pillars. The state and season of your career / life journey will influence what is more and less relevant to you this year. You may, for example, need to focus on your internal search and clarity before you can tackle future design and planning.
Program Structure & Flow
Your program year is currently portrayed by the following diagram.
Here’s what we’ll work on:
Assess & Measure: The program starts with a top-level assessment of your current state across the key pillars. The goal is to understand your strengths and weaknesses relative to the pillars, flag potential risks, identify low hanging fruit, and identify appropriate priorities against where you are in your career lifecycle.
Opportunity / Threat Awareness: We also flag if your next 12 months has a threat (pending sale of your company, new boss, market instability…) or opportunity (predicted opening internally, goal to make a move, or your identified next step goal that you’re working towards…). This may or may not influence your focus areas, depending on factors like your market readiness.
Focus Areas: You will identify 2–3 areas of focus for the year. These will be pillars, or some aspect of a pillar that we’ve identified as worthy of your attention. A focus area means a commitment to do some work to achieve a goal. I will help you by making a recommendation. They might involve:
- Direction: Develop greater clarity around what’s next. Dream big.
- Self-Assessment: Develop greater clarity around the dimensions of your unique professional offering and possibilities therein
- Market Skills: How market ready are you? Assess and identify skill and knowledge areas you need to close
- Personal Branding: How do you stand out currently? What do people think about you? Do the work to find out. What areas do you need to shore-up, align and improve?
- Reputation Management: Assess and take action to build your market reputation.
- Network Development: To what extent do you have the key relationships in your space? Are the gatekeepers aware of you? Map your market and develop your network.
Themes: I will serve up 8–9 themes throughout the year. The themes will be pillar-based and be comprised of a combination of topic, materials/content for learning, possible reflection or discussion items for the group, and possible action items.
The goal of the themes will be to make important progress on some dimension of the business of you. (Examples: LinkedIn profile upgrade month, map your industry’s eco-system, strengths clarification, top 20 relationship development…) How much time and attention you put into each will be up to you.
Doing the Reps: We will identify ongoing activities that you feel are important to you. If important, an accountability structure can be set-up to remind you. (Examples: Scheduling proactive coffee/lunch meetings, touching base with your key relationships, posting / updating / enhancing your LinkedIn presence…)
Evaluation: In your 12th month in the program, how did you do? Where did you make progress? What’s next and what’s the next level?
The Beta Career Management Program Offer
I am releasing at the end of January 2017, a one-time beta customer offer as part of the development and launch of the program and am recruiting a limited group of keen beta customers to begin and help develop the program with me.
The role of charter (beta) members
Help me avoid the Vacuum: Rather than me creating in a vacuum, beta members will be a sounding board as the structure and content rolls out.
Proof of Concept: I see this as a train picking-up freight cars along the way. If I can’t attract customers along the journey, then I probably don’t have a product. Beta customers help prove the concept.
Shape & Improve: Provide critical / positive feedback on structure, content, presentation, marketing material, naming and experience. Help identify what’s missing. Feedback will take the form of responses to structured questions that I send out periodically or during a scheduled conference call or meeting. For example, before “regular” members see a new topic, I’d like to preview it with the beta group. Your time is valuable and I will not abuse this privilege.
Spread the Word: I understand that this is earned and not automatic or obligatory. How can you help? Social proof is critical for enrolling future members. If you find a fit with me and the program, you will likely know similar people. You can help by writing a testimonial, or appear in a video for the website to help attract new members. And by actively providing referrals and introductions to potential individual customers as well as corporate leads.
Network effects make the program more valuable to you as the program gets bigger (more great people, opportunity to have specializations, support geographic groups, etc.). And the more traction the program gets, the better I can invest in and support its growth and add powerful assets to the mix.
What are the benefits of getting in early?
- If taking better care of your career, this year, is important to you, then early entry to this program is both an opportunity and a commitment on your part to do just that.
- If you’re the type of person who enjoys shaping a program, this is an opportunity to do just that.
- If you believe in the vision for this program, your participation helps make it happen.
- Expand your network, form some cool relationships (maybe friendships) and learn from the experience of other successful professionals.
- Value. I am trying to structure the pricing of the beta with enough value embedded that’s it’s a no-brainer for you. Including no risk. See below.
Details of the Charter (Beta) Program
The full program has a planned price of somewhere between $1500-$2500 pending decisions about the extent of peer group meetings, events and 1–1 consulting time embedded in program.
I’m offering a charter (beta) price of $800 for the 1st year of the program.
Here’s what it includes:
- Logged in area for program participants
Learning & action materials
- Self-Assessment materials
- Pillar learning content
- Workbooks / exercises / actionable blueprints
- Analysis of your self-assessment results, recommendations and support in your program goal setting
- 90-Minute On-boarding/Planning Session (occurs in the first 10 days of sign-up) including my custom recommendations for your plan ($300 value)
- 3 x 60-min quarterly meetings/calls for 1–1 planning / problem solving / coaching ($525 value)
- Year-end evaluation
- Webinars and/or Focus Days (pre-scheduled day when members take action and leverage each other’s energy. Group coaching call to support)
- Pre-scheduled accountability emails
Live in Vancouver and either recorded and made available, or some form of live virtual component.
- Event 1: An April/May 1-day workshop ($300-$1000 value)
- Event 2: An October 1-day workshop ($300-$1000 value)
Exclusive Beta Customer Bonuses
- Automatic 30% off the list price of the program for future years ($600/year value)
- Automatic 10% discount off the list price to any new members you refer (excluding Beta period)
- A 15% discount on any of my consulting services for the next 12 months (LinkedIn profile, resume, bio writing, extra consulting hours, etc.)
There’s no risk to you with this program. If you don’t find the program a fit, I will refund the fees to you less the value of any 1–1 consulting time that we’ve had together. Or credit for future work.
Ready to take a serious leap forward this year?
I’m interested in recruiting beta customers (and future customers) who fit the program framework and goals. As the program is structured to have peer interaction, it is important that the program is not only a fit for you, but also that you are a good fit for the program.
If you are keen to move your career forward this year with this program after having read the above, and understanding the role of beta customers and the associated $800 fee for the 12-month program, please use the form below to express your interest. I will respond personally and we can determine the fit together.